- New York has imposed some of the strictest lockdowns to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- However, data shows New York is still facing more dramatic health and economic crises than the rest of the country.
- State level unemployment shows that New York has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country at 8.2%, with only Hawaii, Nevada, California and Colorado having higher rates in December.
- A new report from the New York Department of Labor shows that New York state lost over 1 million jobs in 2020, or 10% of the total nonfarm employment.
- New York currently has 7,110 COVID-19 cases per capita over the last 7 days, according to the New York Times, which is the 6th highest in the country.
- New York still leads the country in total deaths due to COVID-19.
- The Right Facts will continue to monitor state level employment.