- Unemployment rates fell in 19 states, rose in 12 states and the District of Columbia, and remained stable in 19 states in December.
- The U.S. unemployment rate remained unchanged over the month at 6.7%.
- 33 states have unemployment rates below the U.S. average.
- Hawaii has the highest unemployment rate at 9.3%, followed by Nevada at 9.2%, and California at 9.0%.
- Nebraska and South Dakota have the lowest rates at 3.0%, followed by Iowa and Vermont at 3.1%.
- The largest increase in unemployment occurred in Colorado with a 2.0% increase from November.
- The largest decrease in unemployment occurred in New Jersey with a 2.6% decline and Arkansas with a 2.1% decline.