- Florida has taken criticism for not implementing strict lockdowns like many states because of their large senior population, who are more at risk from COVID.
- However, the data suggest Florida is navigating the pandemic better than most states.
- Florida has a lower COVID mortality rate for seniors than New York, California, and the national average.
- In fact, 38 states rank higher than Florida for COVID mortality among seniors 65 and older, per capita.
- As of 2019, 20.9% of Florida residents are over the age of 65 according to census data, the second highest percent of any state.
- The Right Facts will continue to monitor COVID mortality.